Fact or Fiction:
The current Johnson Hall was not the first building on campus named Johnson Hall.
When completed in 1909 the current Bancroft Hall was originally named Johnson Hall after President and Founder David Bancroft Johnson. When the current Johnson Hall was completed in 1920 using Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) funds, the student body petitioned President Johnson to name the new YWCA building in his honor. President Johnson relented to their wish and the YWCA Building became Johnson Hall and the former Johnson Hall was renamed Bancroft Hall using President Johnson’s middle name.