WINTHROP TRAINING SCHOOL RECORDS, 1912-1968 (W430, W430.1)
The property where Withers/W.T.S. Building now sits was originally purchased in 1891 by the Rock Hill Presbyterian Church and within a year a dormitory and a schoolhouse was built for a male high school. The property changed hands a few times before Winthrop purchased it in 1910 to operate as a training school for Winthrop students majoring in education. The Winthrop Training School operated as a K-10 (later becoming K-12), which functioned as a laboratory for Winthrop student teachers. Construction began to expand the schoolhouse in 1910 and was completed in 1912. The doors were opened for the first Winthrop Training School class, one hundred years ago, for the 1912-1913 academic year. The Winthrop Training School remained opened until budget constraints forced it to close the high school in 1965 and the elementary school in 1968.
The Winthrop Training School Records consist of reports, various records, policy manuals, student transcripts, correspondence and memoranda, photographs, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, and various publications including yearbooks, handbooks, newsletters, and directories.
For more information please see the list of contact the Archives