Fact or Fiction:
The Blue Line Tradition originally was held on the first Sunday following Christmas break and received its name from the students who complained about being blue from the cold.
The Blue Line tradition was established in 1895 by President David Bancroft Johnson, but was always held on the first Sunday of the academic year in August or September. The tradition became referred to as the Blue Line due to the Navy and White uniforms that students were required to wear from 1895 to 1954.
The Blue Line grew out of President Johnson’s concern for the spiritual development of students. President Johnson would gather the student body together and welcome them to the school and then walk the students down Oakland Avenue to church services on the first Sunday morning of each new academic year.
In current times, the Winthrop President convenes members of the freshman class to provide them with an official welcome to the campus community in Byrnes auditorium. The president then leads the convocation procession out of Byrnes auditorium and down the sidewalks to the Tillman Administration Building. Once there, convocation participants come together in the spirit of fellowship to enjoy a community picnic on the front lawn.