Fact or Fiction:
The Winthrop Coliseum area used to be a Winthrop operated farm.
The Winthrop farm consisted of a 144 acre crop area, graze area, and livestock operation, which eventually was expanded to 360 acres. Already in existence when the school opened in 1895, the farm was used to provide dairy, eggs, and meat to the students. Poultry, cows, pigs, bees and several crops were successfully cultivated at the farm and as many as 100 gallons of milk and 80 dozen eggs were consumed each day during the 1930s. In 1956 the entire farming operation was ceased. In 1957 the Winthrop Lake was built and the area began its transformation into a recreational area for students and faculty/staff.