Fact or Fiction:
Winthrop students used to be required to wear uniforms.
The uniform policy began in 1895 in an effort to make students equals, with no regard to socio-economic class. Students whose wardrobe deviated from the uniform in any way were brought before the Uniform Council. While the styles transformed dramatically throughout the years, navy blue and white remained a tradition. When discussion began about the possibility of Winthrop becoming a co-educational institution, the tradition of uniforms was abolished in 1955. However, discussion about co-education continued until Winthrop became fully co-educational in 1974.