Fact or Fiction:
Rutledge Hall used to house Winthrop’s library.
The main portion of Rutledge Hall was built in 1905 as a library and was named Carnegie Library in honor of Andrew Carnegie who donated the funds to help construct the building. Prior to Carnegie, the library was housed on the second floor of Tillman Hall where the Development Office is currently located. Carnegie served as Winthrop’s library until the Ida Jane Dacus Library was built in 1969 and at that time Carnegie was renamed Rutledge Hall in honor of Mai Rutledge Smith Johnson, the wife of Winthrop founder and first president David Bancroft Johnson.