Fact or Fiction:
Winthrop University’s official name at one time was the South Carolina Industrial and Winthrop Normal College.
Winthrop was originally known as the Winthrop Training School for Women from the school’s founding in 1886 until 1891. In 1891, the industrial arts were added to the curriculum and at the behest of Governor Benjamin Tillman Winthrop became known as the South Carolina Industrial and Winthrop Normal College. This name only lasted a few years until Winthrop’s name was changed again in 1893 to Winthrop Normal and Industrial College of South Carolina. Below is a progression of Winthrop’s official name.
The Progression of Winthrop’s Official Name
|Winthrop Training School for Women||1886-1891|
|South Carolina Industrial and Winthrop Normal College||1891-1893|
|Winthrop Normal and Industrial College of South Carolina
(Moved to Rock Hill, SC in 1895)
|Winthrop College, the South Carolina College for Women||1920-1974|
(Became coed in 1974)
|Winthrop University||1992 to present|