Fact or Fiction:
Main Building, now known as Tillman Administration Building, was partially built by convict labor.
After the general contractor employed to construct Main Building went broke and was forced to abandon the project, Winthrop turned to convict labor to complete the project. Colonel W. A. Neal, the superintendent of the State Penitentiary, was assisted by W. H. Stewart, a local farmer/builder who supervised the remaining construction and the management of funds. The building was completed on time and Main Building was opened in October 1895 for classes.